Monday, February 15, 2010
I am all about moving forward. If a piece doesn't work it gets reworked or painted over. I did this piece early this summer using the same process I did for Hobo Kitty. It never felt quite finished, so last month I decided to revisit it. I added the wings, and reworked the eyes and legs. All in all I think it works much better now. I'm thinking more bugs are on the way. Stay tuned!
I did this piece some time ago to experiment with materials. I started with Super Sculpey, but given the characters thin wrists and ankles I could tell it was not going to work. Luckily my friend and 3-d artist extraordinaire Kevin Buntin turned me on to Apoxie Sculpt. It's not the easiest material to work with, but it is remarkably versatile stuff once you get a handle on it.
The armature is made of tin foil and wire. A thin coat of Apoxie Sculpt covers that which in turn is carved, sanded or dremeled as needed.